Thursday, November 23, 2006

What I am thankful for........

Thanksgiving officially marks the the start of the holiday season. Most people spend time with the folks that they love. If they are lucky, they like them too.

I must admit that I do enjoy cooking on Thanksgiving and Christmas, the only days that I committ to cooking. My Mom still brings her creamed mushrooms. My daughter prepares the mashed potatoes. When my kid brother lived closer, he prepared a killer cornbread stuffing. I took over the bulk of the duties from my mom, in time I will pass the baton to my daughter and her new family.

Dad will bounce in the kitchen and test everything to make sure it is OK. My Mom will yell at him for doing so. It is what they do.

We will eat too much, watch football and resolve the problems of the world.

Most stores used to close on this day. The supermarkets and convinience stores would open buit close early so that the employees could eat dinner with their families.

To my horror Kmart is open ALL day today. I am not much of a shopper but I think this is a little much. How much will you really save? What about the folks who have to work?

I am thankful for my good health, family and friends. I blessed that I have a job with benefits, a luxury in today's economy. I am blessed that my daughter, nieces and nephews are not in the military.

I very grateful that I do not have work for Kmart.

No comments: