Saturday, September 06, 2008

Ray Didinger: Da Best Sportswriter on the Planet

A friend of mine knows that I am a huge sports fan. The sports and entertainment practice of her law firm sponsored a NFL kick-off event at her firm Thursday. The featured speakers were Glen Macnow and Ray Didinger.  She had no earthly idea who they were but knew I would love it.

Not surprising, the event was packed with testosterone. Out of about 200 attendees, I could count the ladies on one hand.  Pat Cirroccihi, a local newscaster, my friend, the rest, associates who had to be there.

There was a buffet of local football fare: hoagies, cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, hot dogs, and beer. 

I have been a huge fan of Didinger forever. He is by far the best sportswriter on the planet. When he appears on the local radio and TV shows he serves as insightful sane one with a wicked sense of humor.

My mission was to show my appreciation for his work without having him call security. One of the attendees that I was chatting with introduced me to Glen MacNow.  How he is on the radio is how he is in person. Funny, warm and engaging.  Being a radio personality, I had no clue what to expect looks wise. Attractive, average height, balding, with deep dimples.

I told him I was a fan of his but a bigger fan of Didinger. He roared with laughter. He thought it was cool, that I was a fan of sports writers.  "How would you like to meet 'the man'?" he offered. Like a dork, I just flashed a big old smile. Again, he laughed and said "I'll take that as a yes."

Didinger was surrounded by attorneys holding court. Macnow interrupted the gathering. "Excuse gentlemen, but lady is a fan of Ray's and wants to meet him." 

As Didinger emerged, with a cross expression of surprise and amusement, Didinger extended his hand and said "Really?"

Trying to maintain some level of cool, I told him my mission tonight was to fawn over him shamelessly. With a hearty laugh, he said," by all means fawn away. It's rare for a lady to enjoy my work." The three us of talked Philly sports until they " did their thing." The two of them have a show on Saturdays where they shoot the shit about sports, which was how they conducted their talk.

It was awesome. My friend was thrilled I was thrilled. "It's funny, I just assumed they were football players", she said. I sighed and shook by head. We both laughed. "

My kid brother is fan of Macnow and Didinger. Because I couldn't help myself, I had to tell him of my encounter. He was appropriately happy for me and jealous.



No comments: