Monday, July 26, 2010

Random Act of Kindness or Sally does the Trail


During the course of being pummeled with permission by my massage therapist we talk about everything from current events to our families. My cycling activities are always on the agenda.

My pre-work rides are generally uneventful. For the most part, the folks you encounter speak, with a nod or a wave and they are on their way. Cyclists, joggers and dog walkers are the norm.

Skaters are in the minority. So on an beautiful morning, the tall very fair redhead skater stood out.

As we approached each other, I waved but she flagged me down.

She looked harmless so I stopped. She did not appear to be in distress but I asked if she was ok anyway..

Oh I am fine she responded. What can I do for you? I countered.

"I know this is a weird request, you look safe, will you put suntan lotion on my back?"

It was an odd request, but what the hell I did it.

No big deal. Right?????

I thought it was a funny story.

I shared this with my male massage therapist. His immediate reaction was "Reaaaaallly" in a way to suggest something more interesting should have followed.

"Then what happened?" he asked with a chuckle.

What do you mean then what happened? I completed my ride.

Then it hit me.

"Oh my God! How did a simple random act of kindness turn into Sally does the Trail...

Are you kidding me????

That thought NEVER crossed my mind.

So he challenged me to take a survey of my friends. Well I did, I asked 6 females and and 6 guys.

The ladies responds ranged from oh how nice to eeeeeew.

The guys to man were in camp of my massage therapist..

Further confirmation, I simply do not understand the male species...




No comments: