Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Responsibilities

Obama's Father's Day sermon/speech was timely. We have lost a generation of young black men to drugs, alcohol, violence and the prison system.

In my family, I enjoyed the company of my grandfathers and my great-grandfather. The women in my family are/were strong but their spouses shared their values. Their presence in my life mattered. My great-grandparents lived across the street. I learned how to tend to a garden from my great-grandfather and how to crochet from my great-grandmother.

They were clueless to the rules of field-hockey but they never missed a home game. They loved baseball. For my brothers games, did not miss a one.

How cool is that?

Maybe this generation of young black men will listen to this message coming from Obama.....

No comments: