Thursday, June 19, 2008

A view from the Corner Office

Like it or not Jimmy Carter tried to wean US off of the oilpipe. The oil companies have a ton of lobbyists on K street coupled with our habits have led us to this moment in time.

We as citizen consumers have choices. We can continue down this road or we change our behavior. By slowing the demand for oil, then maybe we will see a reduction in costs.

My staff is a microcosm of society. Recently, I have heard serious lunchroom conversations. Before the 4 plus dollar gas, my staff went out for lunch. Everyone is now bringing their lunch. They are saving money on gas and the actual meal. One clerk boasted that her Caesar salad tasted better than the WaWa version. Another staffer's wife vetoed his plan for a scooter. He commutes from Philly to suburbia. He would save $600 per month in gas.

Bush & Cheney's need to take care of their oil buddies superseded their need to entertain a real energy program. A safe environment; a sane energy program and national security are not mutually exclusive.

Are we at the end of this administration, yet?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I've been blogging about the anti-gas movement on pandemicgreen.com. I got so fed up supporting the war whenever I bought gas. I converted my car to run off of waste vegetable oil. Not only is it great for the environment, it's great on my wallet as well. You can check out my ride on austinchu.wordpress.com.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the irony!

The weak dollar finally made American made products cheaper for overseas customers.

But with rapidly rising fuel prices, now we can't afford to ship them overseas!

Can't win, can we?

Sally Hemings in Paris said...

Hooray for you, Austin!
Be careful, the oil robber barons will come looking for you!

Sally Hemings in Paris said...

Maybe we will return to manufacturing product at home and pay the employees a livable wage?